If you are just getting into skateboarding it can be tough to learn everything about it and what purpose it serves but more so if you have been skateboarding for a while and now want to move up.
Let me ask you?
Do you want to start buidling your own skateboard but don’t know which wheels to get or skateboard decks to get? It can be daunting and confusing which is why our guide will show you everything you need to know different parts that go in a skateboard.
At the end of each part resource we have also linked some great sites that you can check out if you want to learn more.
Most of the beginners do not think of the parts of a Skating board while buying a new one. Usually they just buy a Skating board based on the sales executive’s explanation at a shop or a description written below the skating board on an e-commerce website.
But it is important to know about the parts of the skating board and most of the experienced skateboarders know it all. Usually when you want a custom Skateboard it is necessary to know about the parts of skating board.
So this article explains you about the parts of a most common Skateboard. Normally Skateboards contain the below parts
Different Skateboard Parts
1. Deck – The Deck also known as board will have truck under its bottom and grip tape in the top. The truck will have a nose and tail. Nose is the front part of the Deck which is usually broader than the tail. Tail is the back end of the Deck which is less broader than the Nose. Base material of the Deck would be made of 7 to 8 layers of plies (Wood) or fibre.
Decks are the biggest part of a skateboard, they are what you stand on and ride your skateboard. Traditionally there was only one deck design which was a straight curved shaped piece of wood.
Nowadays there are lot more options available such as conclave, penny and cruiser decks etc.
2. Mounting holes- There will be eight mounting holes on a skateboard which are available to fix the trucks at the bottom. Four holes will be there near the nose and the other four are drilled near the tail.
3. Grip Tape – Grip tape is usually made of aluminium oxide or silicon carbide. Grip tape will have sandpaper like surface which is self adhesive. Decks are very slippery which is why they are covered with grip tape which provides friction between you and the board. This friction enables you to stick with the board when you are going at high speeds or are jumping up in air.
4. Truck – Truck is designed to hold the load which is attached to the wheels and consists of various other parts.
5. Axle – Axle is a metal rod which runs through the truck hanger and will be connected to the wheels on either side of it.
6. Axle Nut – Axle nuts are threaded into a Axle to hold wheels in right place.
7. Hanger – Hanger is a part of truck which holds axle and wheels. It rotates in the pivot cup allowing the board to make turns.
8. Base plate – A base plate is usually attached to the deck of the skating board which hosts the pivot cup
9. Bushings – Bushings are either rubber material or metallic ones which fits around the King Pins of the Skate board. Bushings can be adjusted enough to be tight or loose around a kingpin in order to control the wheelbase during the turnings.
10. Pivot Cup – Pivot cup rest inside the base plate and helps the board to turn left and right easily.
11. King Pin – King pin supports bushings and Hanger. It is an threaded extension coming out from base plate.
12. Wheels – Four wheels are present in a regular skate board and it contains many other parts along with it. Core part of the wheel hosts the bearings. There will be a bearing seat to hold the core.
13. Bearings – Bearings are enclosed in a disc and bearings help in motion of the wheels. Derlin crown, bearing shields, and C clip are all the part of bearing unit.
14. Bolts and Nuts – There will be 8 nuts and 8 bolts required to mount the board with the wheels. After knowing all this one must also know how to select a quality Skateboard. After knowing about all the parts of the Skateboard one can buy the parts of it and get the custom Skateboard ready for themselves. It saves money as well as you will end up having the Skateboard of your choice. The other option is you can buy a ready made Skateboards available in the market.
There are long boards and classic Skateboards available. Long boards are usually costlier and you should decide based on your necessity. Some of the most important things to consider while choosing a Skateboard are width, length and wheelbase. Generally width comes in sizes between 7″ to 9 “. Broader Skateboards are good for one who go on off roads. people with broad feet must go for wider Skateboards. Normally length of the Skateboards lie between 28″ to 32″. Shorter boards are better for street tricks and longer boards are good for vert riders. One should consider long and wide boards for more stability and balance.
Wheel base is another factor to be considered while buying a quality Skateboard. Wheel base is the distance between drilling holes on the either end of the board. Normally it lies between 12″ to 15″. It depends on the height of the individual and taller people should prefer wider wheelbase to ensure better skating.
The other important thing to consider while buying the Skateboard is the physical material used in designing the Skateboard. Deck should be made up of good quality wood or fibre. The trucks should be light weight and should be no more than 10”. It is always good to buy a good company Skateboards to make sure skating will be a good experience.